I have been using contact lenses for the last 20 years, and it was mainly due to vanity reasons. But, the more I used it, the more I liked how free I feel. Whether its attending parties, working out or going for a movie, it feels hassle free. I figured that it would help if I shared some contact lens care tips for other users. What do you say? 🙂
Although, used by a lot of people, some ‘basic contact lens care ’ tips of safety are ignored,
I myself had a pretty bad infection as I stored then in water once. (Yes WATER!!!) So without further ado, lets talk contact lens care in detail!
Fifteen Contact Lens Care Tips
1.Make sure that lens container is clean, and the solution is fresh before you store the lens. Keep the bottle of the solution closed at all times.
- Don’t use water or saliva to lubricate the lens. It will harm the eye.
- Always wash your hands with soap before handling your lenses.
- Do not use expired contact lenses. The expiration date of the contact lens is included in the package.
- Use a good brand, as its for your eyes. I recommend Bausch and Lomb Contact Lenses ,as I just mentioned been using it for almost twenty years, and except for the one time I was careless things have been hunky dory.
[Tweet “Now a days you can even buy use & throw lens, which means you wear a new set of contacts everyday”]
- At the end of the day ensure to clean your lenses on the palm, and rub it gently.
- Keep your eyes comfortable. You should take them off and let your eyes breathe on a free day.
8.Don’t ever sleep wearing the contacts. It is extremely harmful to the eyes.
- Do not share your used contacts lenses or vice-versa with anyone. This will just increase the chances of infection.
- Now a days you can even buy use & throw lens, which means you wear a new set of contacts everyday. Its definitely a good way to keep away infection but, would be very expensive. Also, monthly disposable lenses are there, which can be used for a month & then you can throw them away. This one is particularly not too much on the pocket, and safer too.
- Its advised to not wear contact lenses while flying. The better idea, is to carry the solution, and lens in a zip pouch and wear them at the airport.
- Examine the lens properly, before putting them on. If it is torn or damaged in anyway do not use it.
- Do not transfer old solution into new ones. If traveling, buy a smaller bottle for the journey.
- Apply make-up after you wear the contact lenses. This way the chance of infecting your eye reduces a lot. it has been advised to use cream based eye makeup, as its less likely to get inside the eye. also, if you get any eye infection its been advised to replace your old mascara with a new one.
- Make sure to change the lens solution daily, even if you have not been using it for awhile.
Disinfect the lens container
This should ideally be done every month. Just throw the lens case in boiling hot water for 5 minutes. That’s it.
Its advised to not use the same lens case for more than a year. you can also use a clean issue or towel to wipe off the grime from the lens case.
What are you tips to take care of lens & eyes ? I think I have covered it all, but do share if anything comes in your mind.
Disclaimer: This article for educational purposes only.
Image Credit: Pintrest & Pixabay